Revolution on Wall Street

“Occupy Wall Street” – Still To Happen

What started a few weeks ago on Wall Street was revolutionary.  People gathered in frustration to protest the growing, long-standing inequality of the rich (“the 1%”) and the rest of us (“the 99%”).

In my opinion, what will be more revolutionary is the response.

Could I ask you a favour?  Take under 10 minutes to watch a video.  Done by Corey Ogilvie, a talented, young, independent Canadian director, here is “I Am Not Moving


The Best and Worst is Yet to Come.

Today, just 3 weeks since Occupy Wall Street started, there are now tens of thousands of people organizing in 120 cities across the US.  In fact, a global “Occupy” is mounting, scheduled for October 15th.

I fear one of two outcomes.  Either (1) the people will lose steam or (2) police will launch a breath-taking crackdown to quell it.  It’s a waiting game until one of the two happens.

What are your thoughts?  

Where do you see this going?  

Are you joining, in whatever city you’re in?


Update: A Run On The Bank

This might sound just like what happened in 1929, leading to the Great Depression.  There’s a mass of people going to the banks, wanting to close out their accounts.  And, like in 1929, the banks are turning people away, denying them their savings.   This comes with banks continuing to report Billions in profits per quarter.

Published by


An American who likes to move around.
I now live on the eastern Canadian seaboard. My job? A stay-at-home dad for two cute but demanding bosses. My wife? Also cute; not so demanding.
My wife and I both love travel. We met in South Korea, travelled across Australia, India, Europe and beyond. We lived in Czech Republic for four years. Many stories to tell and experience to share. If you let me, I will help you travel as we do.

6 thoughts on “Revolution on Wall Street”

  1. I will be Occupying Providence this weekend, and closing my Bank of America accounts, with thousands of Rhode Islanders who are fed up with beaurocracy robbing us of our rights and freedom. Our state, though tiny, is so overwrought with red tape, that no one can breathe. We know the money is going somewhere, but it isn’t touching the people it needs to; folks with disabilities (many were just cut from state services which promised to keep them out of sanitariums and integrated into their communities), the elderly (who are regularly found to be neglected and abused in state sponsored communities and children (in 2007, we slashed almost all services to foster youth in the state above the age of 18, when formerly we allowed for an integrative period to help them get on their feet after high school until age 21). We are done. This is our state and we are taking it back.

  2. Wow, I loved Leah’s comment. I was going to say that i fear the same as you. A possible third outcome is that some enlightened bank manager decides to make some changes before he/she is forced into a corner. Maybe, you never know.
    And now, reading Leah’s comment, I am really excited about this movement, way more than I was before! Perhaps I’ve become too cynical.

    1. Thank you Michelle for your comment! I’m actually a big fan of your site, –one of the few I actively promote on my blogroll.

      Great third option, but I’m guessing the chance for the “born-again banker” is slight at best… 🙂

      After a month+, neither of my two outcomes have become more likely than the other. The world is watching if not participating.

      I wouldn’t say you’re cynical; not at all.

  3. You forget the other people who think these folks have turned this into an occupy circus. I am not rich, I am self-employed, I do not ask for handouts. Don’t these people have jobs? Don’t they have family responsibilities? It’s this type of behavior and mentality that has provided the incentive to my family to leave the U.S.A. Why should I work more than half of the year to pay taxes only for that money to be given away to people who don’t need it. I’m all for taking care of those in true need – the elderly, the children left behind and the sick. I have a problem with welfare recipients driving cadillacs and watching their plasma HDTV all day long from the sweat of my brow. The Occupy movement started out with a good message and now it’s just a big mess. So sad.

  4. There it is. Today’s the day one of my two feared outcomes happened: the police shut down (many of the) Occupy X protest sites.

    Today, I read that local police of US cities Denver, Portland, Oakland, Salt Lake, St. Louis and Philadelphia have arrested protestors at their sites. I imagine those cities aren’t the only ones moving to clear out the movement.


Comments are closed.