How to Get Into Canada Using New Federal Skilled Worker Program

Yesterday Canada announced it is re-opening the Federal Skilled Worker and Skilled Trades Program.

If you want to get into Canada, this is great news for you.

Getting Into Canada as a Federal Skilled Worker

This is very exciting news for people who wanted to immigrate into Canada, but didn’t want to marry a Canadian to do it.  LOL

What is a Federal Skilled Worker?

The Federal Skilled Worker Program allows people with work experience (1 full-time year within the past 10 years) in certain job positions to apply to reside in Canada.

If you don’t have the work experience, there are still two ways into Canada through the FSWP: have a job offer of arranged employment. The other way is if you are already a Ph.D. student in an international school.

The most likely scenario for my readers to use the FSWP is to be simple have the work experience (employed now or was for at least a year in the past 10 years).

If you read more here and you would like help through this process, then contact me to set up a special consultation.

Why is the Recent News So Exciting?

Up until April 30th, 2014, the number of careers eligible was 24. Now, it’s 50! And before, the total number of applicants was 3,000. Now, it’s 25,000!! Well, there’s a transition time of 8,000 leading up to the Express Entry program, but in 2015, we’ll be at 25,000. That’s a HUGE boost in the cap!

Canada responded to overflow of applications in the best way.

What Career Positions Are We Talking About?

There are so many fields now classified as a Federal Skilled Worker, it’s almost hard not to fall into one of their categories. Trust me- this is more than double the occupations eligible under FSW until April 30th, 2014.

Basically, any profession you can think of, any skilled work, whether blue collar or white collar.

Check out this list of Skilled Workers and the corresponding codes:

  1. Senior managers – financial, communications and other business services (NOC 0013)
  2. Senior managers – trade, broadcasting and other services, n.e.c. (0015)
  3. Financial managers (0111)
  4. Human resources managers (0112)
  5. Purchasing managers (0113)
  6. Insurance, real estate and financial brokerage managers (0121)
  7. Managers in health care (0311)
  8. Construction managers (0711)
  9. Home building and renovation managers (0712)
  10. Managers in natural resources production and fishing (0811)
  11. Manufacturing managers (0911)
  12. Financial auditors and accountants (1111)
  13. Financial and investment analysts (1112)
  14. Securities agents, investment dealers and brokers (1113)
  15. Other financial officers (1114)
  16. Professional occupations in advertising, marketing and public relations (1123)
  17. Supervisors, finance and insurance office workers (1212)
  18. Property administrators (1224)
  19. Geoscientists and oceanographers (2113)
  20. Civil engineers (2131)
  21. Mechanical engineers (2132)
  22. Electrical and electronics engineers (2133)
  23. Petroleum engineers (2145)
  24. Information systems analysts and consultants (2171)
  25. Database analysts and data administrators (2172)
  26. Software engineers and designers (2173)
  27. Computer programmers and interactive media developers (2174)
  28. Mechanical engineering technologists and technicians (2232)
  29. Construction estimators (2234)
  30. Electrical and electronics engineering technologists and technicians (2241)
  31. Industrial instrument technicians and mechanics (2243)
  32. Inspectors in public and environmental health and occupational health and safety (2263)
  33. Computer network technicians (2281)
  34. Nursing co-ordinators and supervisors (3011)
  35. Registered nurses and registered psychiatric nurses (3012)
  36. Specialist physicians (3111)
  37. General practitioners and family physicians (3112)
  38. Dietitians and nutritionists (3132)
  39. Audiologists and speech-language pathologists (3141)
  40. Physiotherapists (3142)
  41. Occupational therapists (3143)
  42. Respiratory therapists, clinical perfusionists and cardiopulmonary technologists (3214)
  43. Medical radiation technologists (3215)
  44. Medical sonographers (3216)
  45. Licensed practical nurses (3233)
  46. Paramedical occupations (3234)
  47. University professors and lecturers (4011)
  48. Psychologists (4151)
  49. Early childhood educators and assistants (4214)
  50. Translators, terminologists and interpreters (5125)

Federal Skilled Trades and Canadian Experience Class

To see if you might qualify for either, check on the official list here, near the bottom.

Want Some Help?

I don’t offer this kind of help often. And I’ll offer it here for a short while, because I’m assuming I’ll get overwhelmed with takers.

But if you want help filling out the forms, or if you need guidance, then let me know.

E-mail me asking about the Canadian FSWP: jeff (at)




Published by


An American who likes to move around. I now live on the eastern Canadian seaboard. My job? A stay-at-home dad for two cute but demanding bosses. My wife? Also cute; not so demanding. My wife and I both love travel. We met in South Korea, travelled across Australia, India, Europe and beyond. We lived in Czech Republic for four years. Many stories to tell and experience to share. If you let me, I will help you travel as we do. Enjoy.